Pages

Friday, January 31, 2014

009: Happy Chinese New Year!


The whole world is posting OOTDs and I guess I'm joining the bandwagon!

This was taken at the first floor at Block 77, Commonwealth Drive, in front of an abandoned kindergarten. I have always wanted to know how the insides looked like, but I guess I will never know.



The entire estate has been slated to be demolished under the Selective En Block Redevelopment Scheme to make way for newer flats since 2008, and ever since then, many of the residents here have been moving out to their newer homes. When I revisited this place on the first day of CNY, the entire place was nearly abandoned. A coffee shop still stands opposite block 77, and it was surprisingly still rather busy. My sister, who visited the previous night, recalled how the estate was unusually quiet in comparison to the previous years and how dark and cold the estate was without its residents.

My grandma now lives at the new HDB opposite her previous home, much like her previous neighbours, although they now live on different floors. While her new flat does look a lot brighter and more inviting, the sense of community just doesn't feel the same. It lacks some kind of character and warmth and spunk? I don't know when this block will be demolished, but god will i miss it. the smell, the atmosphere, and the memories. the memories of my grandpa. how my relatives would buy 4D at the adjacent block, how i would laze in my uncle's bedroom till 2AM while waiting for my mom to be done with mahjong.

i wish we would stop with new buildings.

No comments: